Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 24-04-2018, 12:53 PM

Default Walkers and Sandersons Buildings, Amble.

Does anyone know where Walkers and Sandersons Buildings were / are in Amble? The 1881 census has several families living there including my own, also who were Walker and Sanderson respectively?
Old 24-04-2018, 09:19 PM
Administrator

We have James Sanderson an Amble ship builder, the brickworks were built on the site of his shipyard. Active in the 1850s. (Leighton & Sanderson)

McAndrews records that a contractor 'Sanderson' built several blocks of buildings on what we know now as the north side of Queen Street, including the Dock Hotel. These buildings were known as Sanderson's Buildings. The opposite side, the Waterloo pub etc, were Welsh's Buildings.

I'm unsure if the shipbuilder and street builder are the same person.
Old 24-04-2018, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Walker's Yard and Buildings were at the top of Queen Street, contained the Radcliffe Arms: this site now occupied by the Co-op supermarket and car park. The buildings also ran down the back of Queen Street joining on to North Street as far as I am aware.
Old 25-04-2018, 06:36 AM

The buildings you mention were Prospect place and Prospect Terrace and ran behind the recently closed bank.
Old 25-04-2018, 10:01 AM
Administrator

McAndrews states that Walker built the Radcliffe Arms and adjacent 'building' Walker's Yard when discussing Amble inns. I'm probably assuming Walker built Prospect Terrace. We could probably get some idea from the censuses. Do both the place names 'Walker's Buildings' and 'Prospect Terrace' occur together? How many families live in 'Walker's Buildings'

Here's a map with the buildings in place. I would imagine 'Walker's Yard' would be building(s) with an adjacent open space? 1,2,or 3??

Is the space '3' Coulson's Cottage garden?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg map-walkers.jpg (114.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 25-04-2018, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Where did the Garage sit (Samples?). My mother worked the petrol pumps there at one time. I feel it was over '3' on the map?