Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Rothbury and Thropton

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 23-10-2015, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Photo now added to Brian's post. Very nice.
Never seen a 'Galtee More' bottle, which is apparently the patent stopper securing design with the holes in the side of the lip. I assume a forerunner of the swing stopper?? Interesting.
Old 23-10-2015, 04:59 PM

Very nice indeed, and an excellent photograph! The Thompson bottle is especially interesting! One question though - what is that on the neck of the left-hand bottle? Is it the original glaze? Looks like paint!

PS. The very top of the neck (excluding the white bit).

Last edited by Vagabond; 23-10-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old 26-10-2015, 10:23 PM

Default One Green Bottle

And if one green bottle should accidentally fall...

Nine more would be nice!

Last edited by Vagabond; 26-10-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 29-10-2015, 08:36 PM
Administrator

That's a beauty. Interesting stopper.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:05 AM

Default Rothbury Aerated Water Co'y stone bottles

In response to Vagabond's message:
Yes, the swing-top bottle in my photo is restored. (By me, and therefore recognisably so!) I dug it in pieces over months and not completely. Quite scarce, I believe.
The Galtee More bottle is complete. Also I've dug one piece, with some lettering on it, of another one. Perhaps older than the swing-top.
The T.Thompson and Son bottle must be more recent. I've dug a few pieces of another one but not enough to try to reconstruct it.
The Trade Mark for the Rothbury Aerated Water Co'y was a bulls head. Perhaps too expensive to transfer onto stoneware bottles, it was embossed onto their glass Codd bottles.
I too am very interested in discovering dates and details of this firm.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:14 AM

Default Jackson Fenham Newcastle

Dear Vagabond (again),
I've two green Jackson bottles same as your's. Dug from separate sites and only one of them with the 'heart-shaped' top. Another soft-drink manufacturer, Middlemas of Kelso, is/was the only other user (which I've yet discovered) of these tops.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:36 AM

Default local Codds

All 3 bottles are '6oz' Codds. '10oz' was quite common too.
Bottle the left is embossed 'Turnbull & Williamson, Amble'. I think that firm operated from what is now a garage in Bridge Street.
Centre bottle shows the bull's head Trade Mark of the Rothbury Aerated Water Co'y.
Bottle on right is embossed 'R.Housby, Hotspur, Alnwick'. Housby operated from Greenbat area.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Default Northumberland Codd Bottles

I've got the left and right bottles. Never seen a Rothbury one before. It's a charmer. Is that bull grinning?

Just out of interest on remembrance sunday, this is Percy Housby from Alnwick, son of Robert I believe.
Officer in the Northumberland Fusiliers, badly wounded in 1917, but survived.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:46 PM

Wow! Thanks for posting Brian, these are superb images, the middle bottle is indeed a corker, if you`ll pardon the pun! The stopper on my Jackson & Co bottle is the original: one side has the words `Jackson Fenham` and the other (the side on view in the picture) gives a reg` no.

Keep `em coming!
Old 08-11-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Strand Terrace doesn`t ring any bells, but I know Well Strand (Near Rothbury House). The very name `Well Strand` suggests there being a well, somewhere in the vicinity! Maybe the company sourced the water from the well, figures!

Will look further into this. Many thanks for the info Coquet, and I will put up a picture of said bottle, nothing on file at the mo` but I`ll take a picture and post it here in a day or two.
I thought Mr Dippie Dixon might have the answer but the closest I can get is a "Well Close" which lies behind the Armstrong Cottages. He says this is from a well that used to exist on the banks of the Cobletch known later as the "Brewery Well". He reckons the 1846 tithe map shows a small runnel of water flowing from the well through Well Close and that the Cobletch Burn had once taken this course entering the Coquet by the Scottish Ford. It might make sense to you Rothbury lads.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:06 PM

Yes, perfect sense, indeed the aforementioned burn still enters the River Coquet at the Scottish Ford, better known now a` days as the `Stepping Stones`across the road from Armstrong Cottages. This precise location - the confluence of burn and river achieved some notoriety, but not in a good way some 4 - 5 years ago...

Of which, the least said the better.

Last edited by Vagabond; 08-11-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:07 PM

Here are some more local bottles, in which I hope you are interested!
On left: 'W.B.Pyle, Chollerford & Rothbury'. I think it is a beer bottle but I've discovered no history.
Middle: 'The Rothbury Brewery Co., Rothbury'. Townfoot. This brewery was bought in 1911 by James Aitken & Co.Ltd. of Falkirk. In 1869 Dippy Dixon married Mary Hindhaugh, daughter of Robert H. who then ran the brewery.
On right: 'George Storey & Co., Rothbury'. Bottled beer for Bass. And for others? I've found fragments of stoneware flagons impressed, 'George Storey & Co., Wine & Spirit Merchants, Rothbury'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0844.jpg (80.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 11-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Three more gems I've never seen before. W.B. Pyle and his wife appear to be running the George Hotel in Chollerton in 1901

Last edited by Coquet; 11-11-2015 at 05:11 PM. Reason: sp

Tags
bottle collecting, bottle digging, g.w.wilson alnwick bottle, ginger beer bottles, newbigin alnwick, old rothbury bottles, rothbury aerated water co, smart alnwick, well strand rothbury