Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Amble and Hauxley

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 27-06-2014, 08:31 PM

And another one, Morpeth Herald, 22 May 1936:

"Ex Armourer Staff Sergeant John Cunningham, of Amble, the only northern winner of the coveted King's Prize at Bisley, which he had the distinction of winning in 1921 when 62 years of age, has celebrated his 77th birthday. The number of trophies and medals he has won extends well into three figures. Five years ago he handed over his extensive collection of guerdons and his full dress tunic bearing the corresponding badges to the 5th Battalion the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers (TA), with which he served from 1897 to 1909, this being followed by the presentation of the rifle with which he won the King's Prize. Mr Cunningham is still a keen shot, holding his own with many much younger competitors."
I wonder where all that is now?
Old 27-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Administrator

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/ki...ley+cunningham
Old 28-06-2014, 10:02 AM

Here goes Mike - some medals to ponder. A few Rifle Club spoons, medals and other medals. Also a PTE T R Heslop 18-764 DLI 1914-15 medal with the red white and blue striped ribbon - what can you find about him? Pictures continued on next post. In picture 3 the outer medals are identical and I have reversed one to show the Astor Cup. He gained about 5 of these medals, do you think it was an annual event?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6280119.jpg (77.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P6280120.jpg (102.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P6280121.jpg (88.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P6280122.jpg (89.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P6280124.jpg (93.9 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by hollydog; 28-06-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 28-06-2014, 10:05 AM

And another Rifle Club medal and a Board of Trade medal for Francis for service with the Coastguard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6280123.jpg (100.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P6280125.jpg (98.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 28-06-2014, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Delightful collection. Are the Mercantile Marine Medal and Special Constabulary medal to Frank/Francis as well? (the two bronze ones to the right of the Rocket Apparatus Long Service Medal)
Old 28-06-2014, 02:30 PM

The Astor Cup seemed to have been an annual event. There would be county wide competitions to decide which rifle club would represent the county at Bisley.

Alnwick Mercury, 22 June 1912:

"The Astor Cup (Northumberland) Competition was held on the Morpeth Rifle Range. The competing teams were the City of Newcastle Rifle Club and the Amble CRC. The conditions were: 2 sighters and 7 shots at 200 and 500 yards. The teams were of six men each, all to count. The competition resulted in a win for Amble by 19 points. This is the third time in succession that the Amble CRC have won the Astor Cup. Details:-A. E. Green... 64; T Barnes...57; F M Young...65; A Barnes...60; E Coulson jun....63; J Wilson...58."
Old 28-06-2014, 07:21 PM

Thanks Janwhin because he had won at least 3 Astor Cups with Amble judging by the medals. Coquet - the Special Constable medal is my grandfathers from 1930 - 40s I believe T R Heslop was quite an artist in his time an example is on the Durham record office archive from the DLI collection if I can put a link on here ? you may have to remove it as I am never sure on copyrights!!http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk...ImageID=307783

The Mercantile Marine medal, 1914-18 is James G Young's (a brother of Francis and another son of Captain James Young)

Last edited by hollydog; 28-06-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 29-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
Thanks Janwhin because he had won at least 3 Astor Cups with Amble judging by the medals. Coquet - the Special Constable medal is my grandfathers from 1930 - 40s I believe T R Heslop was quite an artist in his time an example is on the Durham record office archive from the DLI collection if I can put a link on here ? you may have to remove it as I am never sure on copyrights!!http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk...ImageID=307783

The Mercantile Marine medal, 1914-18 is James G Young's (a brother of Francis and another son of Captain James Young)
Links are fine, you're just pointing at something on the internet with a link. Was Heslop a local?
Old 29-06-2014, 01:53 PM

On the 1911 census there was a Thomas Robert Heslop, born 1887, lodging in, and born in, South Shields. He was an art student.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Links are fine, you're just pointing at something on the internet with a link. Was Heslop a local?
T R Heslop was the son of an Amble lass, although it looks like he was born in Newbiggin. His sister Eva married our Francis Young. Bobby Heslop was evidently a very talented artist, he never married, there are newspaper cuttings I am told, of his brush with the law at Barras Bridge....if I am allowed(!) I will post them, although I suspect Janwhin will now be digging!!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:06 PM

As if
Old 02-07-2014, 08:23 PM

Well, now you mention it, the family were in Amble in 1891, the father being the landlord of the Schooner. Thomas was born in South Shields so he is the art student of the 1911 census. Eva was born in Newbiggin.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Well, now you mention it, the family were in Amble in 1891, the father being the landlord of the Schooner. Thomas was born in South Shields so he is the art student of the 1911 census. Eva was born in Newbiggin.
Thats them, I havn't any credits at the moment with find my past so am relying on oldies memories! My grandfather was JGH Young - John George Heslop Young after the landlord.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:58 AM

Seems like they moved into the Masons Arms, certainly there in 1901 and in 1911 he is still an innkeeper but the address is only Albert Street.....I guess the Masons and not the Bluebell.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:14 AM

THe Bede Street club had its own members Rifle range in the Cellar of the club at one time !
Old 03-07-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
Found these two oldies on Amble beach. No idea what they are. Can't find identical ones online. Possibly Martini Henry???

I've found a few of these myself and I think you're right about them being Martini Henry bullets. If so then they are the type of bullet that stopped the Zulus at Rorke's Drift.

The other bigger bullets I think are Sniders. These seem to be about 577 Caliber with 3 rings presumable where the bullet was crimped into the cartidge (Martini Henry rounds seem to have 2). Most of the ones I've found been flattened presumably at impact with the target, which if fired from 450+ yards must have been pretty solid. I was lucky enough to find one intact which I presume must have missed the mark - but it makes you think what it would be like if you were on the receiving end of it!

Cheers Al
Old 04-07-2014, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al88c View Post
I've found a few of these myself and I think you're right about them being Martini Henry bullets. If so then they are the type of bullet that stopped the Zulus at Rorke's Drift.

The other bigger bullets I think are Sniders. These seem to be about 577 Caliber with 3 rings presumable where the bullet was crimped into the cartidge (Martini Henry rounds seem to have 2). Most of the ones I've found been flattened presumably at impact with the target, which if fired from 450+ yards must have been pretty solid. I was lucky enough to find one intact which I presume must have missed the mark - but it makes you think what it would be like if you were on the receiving end of it!

Cheers Al
Yes I think they must be. Wish I'd kept a few of the foil cartridge cases to go with them. The brass foil cases I think have a steel base which rusts, but I've 'got the gear' to delicately clean such things now. I probably didn't keep them back then due to this corrosion.

[edit: googling about I see the cartridges were manufactured with steel and brass bases. Here's some with the steel base as used sometime at Amble: http://www.martinihenry.org/index.ph...&product_id=93 ]
Old 04-07-2014, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
And another Rifle Club medal and a Board of Trade medal for Francis for service with the Coastguard
It's good to see another Amble Rocket Apparatus Medal, I am the custodian of the James Richardson one shown on the other website. (pic below) We now know that at least two of these medals for Amble still exist! Richardson was in the "Amble North Company", - I assume they had their equipment on the north side (building is marked on old maps) . The South company I think would have their gear in that building that stood near to Ed Griffiths's house down Sea View?

Old 04-07-2014, 09:05 AM

The hill to the south of the quarry wall was know as the Rocket Hill when I were a lad, presume the same place you mention?
Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The hill to the south of the quarry wall was know as the Rocket Hill when I were a lad, presume the same place you mention?
Yes that's it. The robust stone built building was just south of the hill by 50 yds. Not that long been gone. Stood untouched for an age with its large south facing green painted double doors. Then the doors were removed, I assume to create some sort of shelter. Naturally it started to attract delinquent teens that get up to whatever they get up to in such places and to was decided to have it demolished.