Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Local History, Genealogy, People and Places > Togston, Broomhill, Hadston and Red Row

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 07-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Default Chevington Churchyard Monumental Inscriptions

We've just about completed a transcription of the accessible St John's gravestones, about 10% are inaccessible due to vegetation:

Still needs a final error check and a dozen or so photos to add.

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/broomhill_...hurchyard.html
Old 07-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Administrator

There's some interesting stories in there of those buried or commemorated; The adult Joycey brothers, died in the same month, one a witness in the murder trial of Craigs from Togston a few years before, the other committing suicide in Australia.

Thomas Gass, train diver crushed between his locomotive and wagons.

A forgotten Great War death, Ralph Bolton, who travelled back from Australia with the A.I.F only to die from meningitis at Salisbury in the UK before being sent to France.

Isaac Douglas Wright, crushed between his hay-cart and some steam pipes at Broomhill colliery.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 PM

Oh wow, R. Bolton is commemorated on the plaque inside the Church, I never did find out what happened to him... until now. Another mystery cleared up, thanks Coquet
Old 08-06-2013, 12:40 PM

Brilliant piece of work, Coquet, before all the headstones are lost to the vegetation.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Brilliant piece of work, Coquet, before all the headstones are lost to the vegetation.
I wonder what the total number of burials in the churchyard are? I would not be surprised if it's a similar scale to the Amble East Cemetery [which was a surprise]; it feels like a similar sized plot.

Quote:
R. Bolton is commemorated on the plaque inside the Church, I never did find out what happened to him... until now. Another mystery cleared up, thanks Coquet
There are the usual very well preserved set of service papers for him online with the Australian Archives. Looking at them makes me wishthe British papers had survived in better condition. Most unfortunate state of affairs that the bulk are lost forever.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
I wonder what the total number of burials in the churchyard are? I would not be surprised if it's a similar scale to the Amble East Cemetery [which was a surprise]; it feels like a similar sized plot.
I've got a feeling that Joan Rose, who did the Amble cemetery transcription also did one for Chevington. I'll see what I can find out. I'm not sure what date the churchyard closed and the cemetery opened at Chevington?