Coquet and Coast Forum
Don't forget to check out our sister site: Amble and District

Go Back   Coquet and Coast Forum > Intro Zone and General topics > General topics

We no longer use activation emails. Please allow 24h after sign up and your account should work

Old 29-12-2012, 09:34 PM

Default Local Aviation

Hollydog suggested that a "local aviation" section might be a good idea, so I'll kick it off for everyone.

A couple of snippets from the Morpeth Herald newspaper in 1912:

Wherever this hangar was located, the landing field appears to have been vacated by the outset of WW1 in August 1914 as it does not appear in the list of landing grounds used by either 36 (HD) or 77 (HD) Sqdns which had responsibility for the aerial defence of the North East (such as it was).

Last edited by Graeme; 29-12-2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: More information.
Old 29-12-2012, 09:44 PM

Excellent start.
I have found this link tonight which has a number of references to the area - the forum it is from does not seem to have been updated for a number of years- interesting RAF pics of the northside.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=77988
Old 29-12-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
Excellent start.
I have found this link tonight which has a number of references to the area - the forum it is from does not seem to have been updated for a number of years- interesting RAF pics of the northside.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=77988
It hasn't - I know a couple of the people that posted bits on there.

If you are interested in the WW2 history of Druridge Bay, then this link might be of interest - this is the air-firing range page:

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main...3#.UN9lxndZOAZ

Plenty there to get stuck into!
Old 29-12-2012, 10:03 PM

Thanks for sharing - that will keep me occupied for a few days!!
Hopefully the bits of concrete I see walking the dog will mean a little more after reading these posts.
Old 29-12-2012, 11:45 PM

It must have been exciting to be there, but do we know where the hangars were?
Old 30-12-2012, 10:39 AM

Can't believe that the Druridge Bay "hangar" was anything more than temporary, so possibly just heavy-duty canvas around a wooden frame (such as the transportable "Bessonneau" type). They were designed to be erected by a couple of dozen skilled men in two days. If it was designed to be more permanent, it would have been a simple timber shed which featured side-opening doors - these were eventually replaced by more sophisticated designs on aerodromes in 1916.

Wooden hangars were known as "sheds" before WW1 - but to confuse matters, the canvas "sheds" were known as "hangars"!

(As an aside - flying has taken place from a field next to the coastal lane at Druridge Bay on two separate occasions during the last two years. "Northern Aviators" have held charity fly-ins for light aircraft and microlights, and no doubt there will be another one in 2013. I do the photography for these and the Great North Fly-In charity events at Eshott aerodrome.)