View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
My sister just mentioned this morning that quite a lot of bones are being discovered on the beach.
BTW that Time Team programme last week was rubbish. Supposed to be about Hauxley but just really provided some tenuous linkage to mummified remains and shamanism in the Bronze Age. Nothing about the footprints etc.

I think much more was expected from the Bondicar dig that what it actually produced. I don't want to use the word 'disappointment' but they did expect to have about 12 burials in what was left of the cairn. Unfortunately what they got was two disturbed kists with a few degraded bone fragments. What happened after it became apparent that 'good' burials were not there was that they switched their focus to the tsunami deposits. Probably to gain at least some novel data from what a very expensive project. I did get the impression from the press that the tsunami evidence was something new in itself but this is not the case as it has been researched at a number of sites to the north.

Perhaps then the TV program was pre-planned and expecting great things from Bondicar; but like the dig itself had to switch focus somewhat when the site didn't produce.

The footprints could have been mentioned but they were outside the Bronze age theme of the programme as they are Mesolithic.

Now that dig in the Orkneys with the alleged bronze age temple in the TV program was something else!