View Single Post
Old 16-10-2020, 09:41 PM

Default Appeal for help re. local Leighton family connections

Hi all,

I'm hoping I can tap into your expert local knowledge regarding the association of the Leighton family with Northumberland.

I recently visited a church in Longfamlington. I went there because my 4th great-grandfather and grandmother are buried in the cemetery that forms the grounds of St. Mary the Virgin; namely, Daniel and Barbara Leighton.

I am hoping to understand who they both were and indeed what the Leighton family's wider association was within the general vicinity and indeed the greater Northumberland area. That said, I'm fairly sure Daniel Leighton was a tenant farmer at Cragend Farm.

From what I can tell, the Leighton family were mostly farmers and gamekeepers. I gather that the family potentially owned or occupied a farm called Thistleyhaugh, at least for a time, and further back their definitely had a presence at Thorneyhaugh Farm as well.

A lot of the family seemingly had links to Rothbury and Felton and it would be really nice to piece some of this together as I'm helping the family chronicle our genealogy records. Any help would be really appreciated.

The lineage is as follows:

John Lyghton (Abt. 1590) - Bolam
Robert Leighton (B. 1638) - Whalton
James Leighton (B. 1685) - Rothbury
William Leighton (B. 1712) - Rothbury
Robert Leighton (1745-1840) - Snitter
Daniel Leighton (1785-1849) - Rothbury
William Leighton (1834-1921) - Rothbury

I think there was a diaspora of Leighton descendants away from the Northumberland area around the late-19th century to be honest. The direct lineage of my Leighton branch relocated to Ruabon, near Wrexham, within William's lifetime, and I know that many of my great aunts and uncles of that time emigrated to the USA and Canada.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated as if I don't do this for my family, no-one will!

Cheers,
Pete