View Single Post
Old 14-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derilda View Post
Remember that Moorhouse was the entry to both the Prince and Albert seams. If my memories are correct the Prince landing was almost at the bottom of the drift steps, turning left. The Albert was a little further in then turned right through old workings then fell away. Prince had one active coalface and Albert, I think, had two. The only miners who didn't use Moorhouse to enter/exit thier work were two timber laddies, one worked in Prince , the other in Albert. They entered via Coldrife Drift with thier ponies (Gallowa's) because the stables were on the surface on the east side of the colliery. As I mentioned yesterday I worked with ponies for a while and went to work that way, via Coldrife. I never did like following the full set up the gradient to the surface as it wasn't unknown for a hauler rope to snap.
Other ponies worked in both North and South sides with stables underground. They only came to the surface for the pit holiday fortnight, or if they were unwell.

I've got it now. This seam illustrated above, the 'Prince', has the NCB letter G1. the Albert is G2 ( next deeper). On the G2 plan there are loads of workings in the area of that 1 in 36 roadway to the lower seam (your right turn off the East Togston arterial) those Albert seam faces were being worked 1944 - 1951.