View Single Post
Old 07-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
These might be of interest, ignoring the musket balls (?) all the rest are ww2 era and were within 1/4 mile of the Lord Mayor's field on the beach. I found them a few years ago, along with a couple of hundred pennies! I did research them at the time - someone can perhaps refresh me about the cap badges, Cambridge, Dorset? but the German medal has 1939 on the back and I believe the recipient got one after service beyond the call of duty in battle but not worthy of an Iron Cross (exceptional bravery) . I stand to be corrected though. A war trophy lost? or from German pows nearby?

Some very interesting finds. Badges are my cup of tea. Got boxes and boxes of 'em.

The lower badge is the Essex Regiment (I've photographed a Dorset next to an Essex below) Now the construction of yours with the oval brazing holes, normally covered by the title scroll which is missing, suggests and earlier badge, circa WW1 rather than circa WW2. but there's no guarantee on that.

The Cambridgeshire badge has a notable version with a spelling mistake "Cambridgshire" see mis-spelled version below. (I think yours has the correct spelling?)

The shoulder title badge 'York' (Yorkshire Regiment, The Green Howards) I have a feeling was only worn to 1920 but I'll have to double check that.

The German 'War Merit Cross with Swords'. Is an unusual find- As you say a discarded war trophy, or a possession of a German guest of his majesty during WW2?