Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 20-03-2021, 11:18 PM

Default Hello

Thank you for letting me join

I'm here because my Dads side of the family are from around the area. This meant I spent many happy holidays visiting my Grandmother. Both my Father and his Father worked down Chevington Drift, although my dad left at 16 to join the RAF.

I never met my Grandfather as he died from "coal dust on the lung" in the 50's

I have many many memories of the old housing estate where my dad lived, with it's outside loo, tin baths in front of the fire and the Co-op store. I also remember when all the houses were knocked down to make way for the open cast seeing on half demolished house had a massive mural of the Crucifixion painted on a bedroom wall, the whole place though looked like a bombsite.

My Grandmother was relocated to the Hadston Estate in South Broomhill along with every one else and lived there until she died about 15 years ago.

We were somehow related to the Craigg family as we used to visit "Auntie Mary" in Amble everytime we visited and my Granmother used to use Craiggs coaches to come to Southport (Where I am still) when the flower Show was on.

I still come up to the area, last time was 2 years ago staying in a lovely Airbnb on Ambles Harbour (Wow Ambles changed from the last time I was there)

My Grandmother was Olive Luke, she was Married to Arthur, and they had a Son called Alan. Just in case anyone knew them