View Single Post
Old 15-04-2012, 12:39 PM

Default Chevington Colliery

I've just been having a look at the exchange of messages about Bullocks Hall and Chevington Colliery. What is interesting from the census material is where the people came from.

A few years ago I did some family history for my brother in law, mainly because he kept raising the issue of why my surname (and his wife's) was a middle name for an uncle. But that's another story. His father's family is on the census data from Chevington Colliery. They originated from Norfolk where they were agricultural labourers. The great grandparents married in Norfolk in 1870 and by 1871 were in Jarrow, then Throckley (coal mining) and finally Chevington. All the children were born in Northumberland.

I seem to recall Jeremy Paxman on Who Do You Think You Are tracing his ancestors from Norfolk. There was a mass exodus from the land to the new industrial areas of the north. Obviously everyone was hoping and dreaming of a better life

Since then, the family was obviously forced out of Chevington Colliery and then Chevington Drift. Hadston's still standing!