View Single Post
Old 15-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickt View Post
The building on the left of the map .............I wonder if that's Ainsley's farm ? .
My relatives lived just opposite the farm ,infact by the map above their house must have been built on the burial site.
My late grandparents lived on the Crescent ,infact I have a vey old picture of them as youngsters outside one of the houses.
Could be Rick, I am not familiar with the area unfortunately. The yellow building on this 1920s map, is just marked "Bullock's Hall", possibly later known as the farm you mention?

I am under the impression that most of the buildings shown were long gone before the opencast administered the coup de grĂ¢ce to anything that was left. [from googling the opencast started in 1996]

I'm sure the Chapel had an archaeological investigation done shortly before the opencast got started. [If I can find a link for this info I will add it]

edit to add link: http://www.biab.ac.uk/issues/64678 "Chevington Chapel Site Investigation [Site name: CHEVINGTON CHAPEL SITE [WEST CHEVINGTON]" just a summary at that link.