Thread: Red Row shops
View Single Post
Old 25-11-2013, 10:26 PM

Default Re Pit at Red Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlad View Post
Least I think they were called the Willows, a row of houses on the right down the Drift road. May be one left standing. These seemed very old houses. Edna and Dan McKenzie lived in one before moving to Bondicar Rd. Hadston. I have put a photo of his brothers on the Broomhill Colliery thread. I think Dan was in the army WW2 at Dunkirk. Was there a pit at Red Row
No pit at Red Row Borderlad, but there was a man drift entry just at the east end of The Willows. My memory is lacking any detail really but I did go down that one a couple of times. It was a second route into the Southside area of Broomhill Colliery. It linked with the areas men worked in who entered at The Drift. Some on this site have maps of various seams and workings and may be able to put some meat on my bones of a description. It wasn't worked in my time but may have been pre-war, and coals mined sent to the shaft bottom.
Late addition. Re the origins of Red Row, did the village not evolve from coal being mined at Maidens Hall, just a short walk from the village down the track that went between the Co-op and Primrose Hall and The Buffs? It wasn't a small operation as far as I can see, with aerial roadway etc. (As discussed by Coquet in an earlier thread

Last edited by Derilda; 28-11-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Further information added.