View Single Post
Old 13-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
(there is no rock to be seen, Coquet correct me - is it alluvial deposit?). I assumed the wood posts were once at the very base of the point but are now about 20 metres from it as the point has eroded.
It is Boulder Clay over there (Helsay) so not built from the river sediments. The plain in front or North of Gloster hill is all Alluvial sediments so the river was in there post ice age. if you take a walk in those fields I'm sure you can see old river banks in various places.

(map: yellow = alluvium, blue = boulder clay)

Also interesting is the pre-Glacial theory of the local river drainage. Didn't reach the coast here at all, but at Chevington. There is a hidden valley there filled with boulder clay, only appropriate for the pre glacial Coquet.

Quote:
Some of the borings in the Broomhill district proved considerable thicknesses of drift. As much as 26 fathoms were recorded on the roadside 600 yards north by east of Woodside, and 221 fathoms half a mile to the south-east. Farther to the south-east the base of the surface deposits was not reached at 251 fathoms, and they were still very thick to the east. These borings would appear to be situated on the site of a broad pre-Glacial valley (probably the course of the pre-Glacial Coquet) which passes towards the south-east by Woodside and Whitefield House, and then eastwards towards the present mouth of the Chevington Burn, on either side of which the deposits are more than 16 fathoms thick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coquet_alluvium.jpg (119.8 KB, 13 views)