Thread: Bartie's Town
View Single Post
Old 23-08-2015, 08:10 PM

Default Six Cottages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
As far as I remember the six cottages were in North Broomhill itself, about opposite the welfare where there are now two bungalows.
You just knew I would comment Alan, didn't you?
Six Cottages was at North Broomhill, as you said. Where the bungalows you refer to are, they are in fact built on the ground that formed No 6 and it's garden. The row ran at right angles to the main road, along the south wall of the Co-op. I was born at No4 and lived there almost 15 years. The kitchen/living room had a magnificent view of the store managers house (a very close and detailed view) and our front room looked towards the gable end of Stone Row. There was a room upstairs that had two skylights in the roof. It would be fair to say, there wasn't much of an outlook from our house!
I believe there are now two private houses built on the land, roughly where 1, 2 and 3 stood. I would have to study Google Earth to get a more precise position on those houses.
Living so close to the welfare leaves me believing that was why I was mad on playing football as a youngster. Happy Days.