Thread: DNA testing
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2017, 06:18 PM

Hi Janwhin, thanks for your input. Yes I was surprised by my Irish percentage as well and assumed it was from my Welsh side from Anglesey but have since tested my Welsh Aunt, and she is twice as ‘British’ as me & half as Irish… so many variables so I don’t pay any attention to it. If you thought your research was difficult you want to try the Welsh who have such a small name pool and also Welsh patronymics just to keep you on your toes!

The main use is the shared matches which confirm your research.

I have also tested my 3 siblings and get some interesting variations as we only get a percentage of our parents dna, with 3 siblings I have been informed that that should cover 96% of my parents dna. It would be logical that the older the dna relative the more use it would be for that particular branch.
It would be useful if a company would supply a (cheap) kit just to get a dna sample and store it in the ‘Stabilising solution’ so it is preserved for future research….(before it is lost) & have wondered if you could just spit in a tube and add some IPA or whatever the stabilising solution is and keep it in’t fridge.