View Single Post
Old 30-03-2022, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollydog View Post
The houses being renovated are 1 and 3 Church St. We (N and F Young) are number 5. The missing house site is number 7 Church St, now our garage.
Number 7 was demolished by Amble Urban District Council as a compulsory purchase. The idea was to purchase and demolish down that side of the street to provide parking and access for Queen St shopping. They only got as far as number 7.
The land was subsequently owned by the landlord of the Waterloo who being a FEPOW himself wanted to build a new Legion club on it. We bought it off him in 1996 to allow us to extend our existing buildings.
Regarding the even numbers, they are on the otherside of the street. Many had upstairs flats, some of those flats are accessed from the back lane and often confuse courier drivers accordingly!
Ah right.. I still had 4 years to go in the antipodes at that time so probably missed the building work period.

Quote:
Further to my comment, if you look at the stonework on the "even" side of Church St there is a walled up doorway next to each existing doorway. I believe that downstairs and upstairs were separate and then each pair was knocked into one bigger house at a later date. The stonework matches very well so it could well have been 100 years ago!
That will explain it; going off '22's' disappearance off the records it probably occurred around 1920, for that house anyway.