View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 09:31 PM
Administrator

had the microfilm out today looking for mining info and by coincidence came straight across the boy Casey Incident mentioned above:

AMBLE BOY DROWNED.

Heroic Efforts at Rescue Off the Pier.

INQUEST PROCEEDINGS.

Some sensation was caused at Amble Harbour on Tuesday evening by a sad drowning scene and heroic attempts at rescue - in which the son of a respected resident lost his life.
The boy Walter Casey, aged 16, was fishing at the end of the South Pier, at about 8 o'clock, when he was washed off the steps, there being a heavy sea at the time.
Harry Gardner, a member of the Swimming Club, who witnessed the incident, immediately jumped into the water, but his plucky efforts to save the lad were thwarted by the great swirl which came round the bottom of the pier. A disabled ex-serviceman, named Middlemiss, also made a gallant attempt to effect a rescue.
Gardner was himself nearly drowned, and was taken home in an exhausted condition. Dr. Lougridge, who was attending the meeting of the Amble Council, was summoned, and eventually Gardner recovered.
The deceased boy was the son of Quartermaster Casey, of Amble. He was employed by the Amble Co-operative Society.

INQUEST.
Mr Hugh J.Percy, Deputy-Coroner for North Northumberland, conducted the inquest at Amble, on Wednesday night, Supt. Anderson, Alnwick, was present.
Walter John Casey, secretary, 10 Marine Road, Amble, father of deceased, said that deceased was Walter John Casey, aged 15 years and 10 months, an apprenticed butcher.

Heroic Endeavour.
Robert Middlemiss, shipyard labourer, 9 Greenfield Terrace, deposed to being present at the end of the South Pier, Warkworth Harbour.
The time would be, as near as possible, about eight o'clock. He did not see the deceased fall. The first he knew was when he heard someone shout, "There's a boy fallen in the water." He saw deceased struggling in the water, about 40 yards from the pier, and had been swept straight out. The tide was high, there being deep water around the pier. As far as witness could tell, he was going down for the last time. Witness went in after him, fully dressed. Befor the war, witness was a good swimmer, but he was wounded in the war and this proved a great drawback. He had no sense of feeling in his left hand. He managed to reach the boy and held him up for about three minutes. He had to hold the boy with the right hand, and so could not make any headway. He held on until John Hary Gardner came and relieved him. Gardner gave him what assistance he could, but witness was getting rapidly exhausted. He could hold him no longer. They threw a lifebuoy to witness and he got hold of it. He just saved himself. There were two lifebuoys on the pier.

Near Death
John Harry Gardner, a miner, deposed that he did not see deceased before he fell in. Middlemiss was first in. Witness immediately followed him. He was fully dressed except for jacket and waistcoat. he got out to the boy shortly after Middlemiss.
Describing the accident as he saw it, Gardner said that on the steps at the river side, and on the pier, there were about 60 little boys fishing. He happened to remark to a friend of his that it was a wonder there were not more people going over than there were. Witness walked away about 15 yards, then saw the boy in the water. He heard no cry. Witness got under some railings and reached the edge of the pier, where he saw Middlemiss in the water and apparently in difficulties. There was a very nasty sea on. He dived in, and found he could not manage. He got over to the boy and brought him three or four yards in. It then became apparent that he could not save both himself and the boy - it meant both being swept away. He was forced to leave go. If anyone had had the presence of mind to throw the lifebuoy out while Middlemiss and he had hold of the boy they could have saved him.

Coroner - Perhaps the people on the pier were visitors and did not know where the lifebuoys were.
Witness - No, sir. I saw several Amble men, who could swim and were much younger than me.
Witness said he was never so near drowning as on that occasion.

Important Suggestions.
Mr Percy said it was quite possible, as witness said, that those nearby had been a little more lively with the lifebuoy the accident might have had a more happy ending, but unfortunately, everybody was not like witness (Gardner) and Middlemiss.
Midlemiss told the Coroner that he thought the ropes on the lifebuoys were too short, and the buoys were very heavy.
P.C. Weallans, who was one of the search party, said the body was found within fifty yards of where he was last seen. It was just on the edge of the rocks to the south.
In answer to the Coroner P.C. Weallans stated that the lifebuoys were the property of the Warkworth Harbour Commissioners.
Mr Percy - Convey my compliments to the Commissioners, and say I very much appreciate that these lifebuoys are furnished by them, but I would like one of their officers to inspect them - they may have become rather weather-logged - with a view to seeing whether lighter buoys could not be provided so that they could be thrown further out by people. Although it is a very gracious act on the part of the Commissioners to furnish these buoys, it is rather stultifying their purpose if they are to heavy.
Turning to Mr Casey, the Coroner said he would like him to accept his very deepest sympathy in this sad affliction which had overtaken him.

Brave English Gentlemen

Addressing Middlemiss and Gardner, Mr. Percy said:- It was not the will of Almighty God that your efforts to save this life should be crowned with success and that your efforts were not so crowned does not detracted from the noble courage of you respective deeds. What you did, I suppose, was no less than what was expected of you as Englishmen, but that makes it all the greater credit that you so honourably bear the name of brave English gentlemen. Your town and your fellowmen have cause to be very proud of you. It will be my pleasure to draw the attention of the Royal Humane Society to your very noble actions, and I hope that I may be instrumental with the Society in seeing that your efforts at life-saving in this case are suitably rewarded.
Mr Casey also tendered his thanks for what the two had done.
A verdict was returned of accidental death, with a special commendation by the Coroner of the bravery of John Harry Gardner and Robert Middlemiss.

[Alnwick and County Gazette, July 26 1924]