View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
crossed posts - Interesting.

Dragging the depths of my memory I can remember some award or other for an event at 'Warkworth Harbour' appearing on the medal market, but it wasn't these. So think there are other awards 'out there'.

[edit: I might be thinking of the Sea Gallantry Medal for the Ina McTavish ]
The Ina Mactavish left South Shields on the River Tyne on the morning of 16 October 1907 bound for Aberdeen, laden with 130 tons of lime. At about 22:00, the ship's condenser broke down as a nut had come off the suction valve. Around 06:00 on 17 October, the engines were stopped because a rope had become entangled around the propeller. It was decided to beach the ship, and shortly before 09:00 the ship grounded to the south of Birling Car Rock in Alnmouth Bay. It took until 15:00 for the Alnmouth lifeboat to rescue the survivors. By this time the ship's engineer and cook had both drowned. For their part in trying to rescue the crew, P. Holbert, chief boatman of coastguard, Amble; A. Barton, Police Sergeant, of Amble and J. Helm, police constable of Warkworth were each awarded a Sea Gallantry Medal.[

Last edited by leslie; 06-05-2014 at 01:03 PM.