Thread: monkey island
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 09:42 PM

Wink Monkey Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
The 'North Side' would be a tidal island for quite a while until the old river mouth silted up so that will be the place in the newspaper. There was a cottage there in the earlier part of the 20th century, but how far back does that building go?? Also an an on-line small scale map of the 1860s, a few buildings are shown.

I cannot find anyone with a strange address such as the "North Side" on the 1891 or 1901 census returns in the Amble Parish which is a bit of a mystery.

We need a look at the 6 inch to the mile Victorian ordnance survey maps for a better idea.

North Side Cottage:
http://www.fusilier.co.uk/amble_phot.../boat_race.htm
Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
I noticed buildings on the 1920 map of Amble which reflect what is on the boat race photograph (lots of little gems on this website ). Apart from 1899 and the Middletons and 1891 with Mr. Smith, the only other reference I could find was a wedding in 1881 of a Charlton and Matthewson. The census doesn't seem to help unfortunately. Relatively few inhabitants I would think as it is so inconvenient.
Thank you so much janwhin & coquet between you ,you have hit the nail right on the head ,the name of the young women my relative married was Stewart, Elizabeth Stewart born on Monkey Island about 1872 and married in 1894 in Alnwick registration district. That photo of the feast race confirmed the name and the dwelling, my thanks also goes to the fusilier brilliant photo, Cheers.