View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
By a very circuitous route I've come across an interesting newspaper article about Mr Claxton.
Alnwick Mercury 26 May 1939:

Many residents in the Amble and Alnwick district, especially among the older generation, will be greatly interested to learn that a former townsman, Mr Mark Douglas Claxton, has been elected a Member of Parliament for Mazoe, South Africa.
Mr Claxton was born at Amble in 1874, and the family lived in Gibson Street, being well known and highly respected members of the community. His father, Captain Robert Claxton, was a prominent ship captain, and commanded several ships in the deep water voyages, returning to his home till the ships were ready for sea again.....
Mr Claxton was educated at the old public school (now used as the Council offices) under the headship of the late Mr J P Smith.
On the death of Captain Claxton the family removed to Alnwick and Mr Mark Claxton entered the building trade. At the age of 20 he emigrated to Southern Rhodesia, and for a while worked in the building trade in Salisbury. He served in the Rhodesia Horse in the 1896-97 rebellion, gaining the medal and bar, and in 1898 settled in the Mazoe Valley, where he has been mining and farming ever since.....
Hi janwhin
I found the information on Mark D Claxton very interesting and not known by my family, especially the bit about him serving in the Rhodesia Horse. I am also interested to know where you found this information as he was my great grandfather. I have a family tree on Ancestry.com which I think you had a look at when conversing with Anne, and I have also sent her a message. Regards Mark Claxton