View Single Post
Old 12-08-2015, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Nice to see a gun your ancestor almost certainly fired still with us. I suspect most got scrapped, just saved in our case by the Duke to decorate his castle.

Still a bit of a mystery the Alnmouth battery regarding its evolution. It was in use I suppose for 41 years, so there will be some sort of interesting story I'm sure.

In Hicks history, the 1893 entry, it states that a 64 pounder was transferred from Alnmouth to a new battery at Goswick. So we had 32 pounders and 64 pounders, anything else remains a mystery.

When I went up there for a look the other day, full of enthusiasm, expecting to find the concrete stands for the guns straight away (I'm sure no one would bother to break them up), I was immediately stopped by the 5 foot high wall of bracken. Winter might be a better time for a look.

The castle has a number of bronze guns, some of them might have been used by the artillery when it was a 'club', between the official embodiments. A couple of them appear to be Spanish. I wonder if they came out of the sea around here? you never know.

Spanish Cannon, with a cute (technical term) pair of dolphins on top:

[