View Single Post
Old 02-09-2016, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Phew, that whiff of Scottish air must have done you good.....yes, he's on the list but KIA. Tom Pybus is his name. Can I have you as my special adviser

The names on the memorial are quite frustrating, a lot not local on the 1911 census. My best guess is that a number came in to the district to work on the estates.

One is a complete puzzle. Born in Hampshire, married in Hampshire, kids in Hampshire and Dorset (Gosport and Portland) regular Royal Marine Light Infantry. Killed on board HMS Kent off Falklands end of 1914 (Sinking of the Spee). Wife remarried in Hampshire and died in Hampshire.......but. One child born in Alnwick Reg district in 1st Q of 1915. Died as child in Sedgefield Reg district, year after mother died in Hampshire

That is a bit mysterious. No chance his wife could have been a local? Perhaps he was in the navy reserve in early 1914, choosing up here to live for some reason? Whisked back down south by the Admiralty on the declaration of war, pregnant wife left behind?

wiki has a pic of the ship's company in 1915. He is probably in there somewhere. The marines have the circular metal cap badge like the chap extreme bottom left, and the chap above him with the bugle under the arm.