Thread: RAF Acklington
View Single Post
Old 17-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Default Northstead G.C.I. manning levels

Here's a surprise (for me anyway) - the scale of operations regarding another Acklington satellite - the Northstead radar installation; on this date it has 100 personnel, and they are talking about it increasing to 300!

August 25th 1943

"W/Cdr. Richardson (Sector Commander), W/Cdr. MacKenzie (S.O.A. 12 Group) and W/Cdr. MacNab (S.M.O. Group) assembled at S.H.Q. at approx. 0930 hours and, accompanied by the Station Commander and Station Admin. Officer proceeded to Northstead to examine the domestic layout there and consider steps to be taken for the improvement of conditions and the provision of further amenities. On the site, S/Ldr Anderson (o/c Northstead) showed the party the work going forward and it was decided, after some discussion, that the domestic scheme as at present approved and under construction would not provide anything like adequate facilities for the 300 persons who will man the G.C.I. Station, particularly under winter conditions. It was decided to press for the adoption of the original scheme (costing £16,000 and which had been rejected) which would include adequate hot water supply, baths, ablutions, drainage and access paths.
The WAAF personnel at Northstead (present strength about 100) are meanwhile to be evacuated to Acklington where accommodation exists in a vacated dispersal site. Details of the additional amenities required at Northstead were discussed and included in their scope the sinking of a borehole to obtain water on site, since the consumption levels (3000 gal per day) insisted upon by Morpeth R.D.C. are too stringent for daily needs and will be even more inadequate if the expanded scheme is approved. Sqdn. Ldr. Gillan (HQFC Medical) was with the party to examine conditions both at Acklington and Northstead in respect of WAAF sections. She expressed her satisfaction on departure, the points needing attention, being only minor ones."

I'm not 100% sure where Northstead was? between Red Row and Widdrington somewhere?