View Single Post
Old 13-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
I've just had a look at my 1897 Amble Sheet, which extends further south than the one on Northumberland Communities. It shows the track you mention, cutting diagonally across toward high water mark, and what seems to have been a narrow neck to the quarry at the north eastern end. There is also a square building at the point where the track swing round into the quarry through the neck. Could this be the foundations you spotted on the Google map? The track goes through the centre of the quarry to its SW end, which is diamond shaped, behind Link House. This seems to be the bit where stone was actually being quarried. There are cranes marked on the map at the entrance to the diamond area.
The Google map area is about 400m round the corner south from Wellhaugh point (I should have pointed that out) so it's some distance from the quarry - althouh I think the geology memoir is suggesting its the same coal seam. The car park shown (google) is opposite the southern end of the caravan site, and comparing the two - modern Google and the old 1896 map -the isolation hospital was in the area in front of the modern car park.