View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 08:59 PM

Unhappy Re: The Christian Mission, North Broomhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
In 1891 my great grandfather was a trustee of the hall and was hauled in front of Alnwick magistrates for allowing the hall to be occupied before the sanitary authority had issued a license confirming that the property had a good and wholesome water supply. The authority had refused a certificate on the basis that there was no supply nearby. The ground floor was a dwelling and first floor was the hall, situated at the north end of Togston Terrace. It turned into a bit of a joke because it had no worse access to water than anywhere else in the village. The hall was a methodist establishment and by 1902 there was a church and foundation stones laid for an extension for a hall and class rooms. This seems to be where the Church of Christ is now, built to replace the original when it was destroyed in 1939 when a bomber crashed into it. I don't know whether anyone has more info? Photo below shows the extended church in I think 1908 when the then Prince of Wales visited Northumberland.
Can I just add a little to this topic. Visitors to the site from outside of Northumberland may get confused about where the Christian Mission is. It is situated on Chapel Row, North Broomhill, just past the south east end of Togston Terrace. The chapel that the Hampden crashed onto in 1939, and rebuilt post war, is the Church of Christ, on the opposite side of the road from Togston Crescent.
I haven't been near the Christian Mission for several years I must confess but, viewing on Google Earth shows it to be in a bad state of repair.
Just thought I would try and clear any confusion. The two street names are very similar.