View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 12:26 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@theDrift View Post
Hi Davey, my Dad has just been round and confirmed these were the men involved. He was one of the Deputies involved and applied first aid to Titch.
Hi john, I was hand filling @ the time of the incident and was walking down the drift and was one of the men on the scene after the men had collided with each other. Amazing no was killed , although all had bad injuries especially titch who was working at the head end of one of the long wall coal faces and he and Gary went down the belt in tandem. I was at school with Ken and don't think he was related to Titch unless later through marriage. My father was from the drift and after he married my mother moved to Chibburn Avenue and later to Woodside Crescent as our family grew. He worked at Broomhill as a boy before working at Ellington Colliery. I still have family and friends in the Broomhill & Red Row area but live away from the area myself. I am busy writing a few things down from my past and the drift belt incident is something which has come up during my writings, but the year & date still elude me. Will get there in the end. Davey