Thread: Henry Hebron
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 03:18 PM

Yes, he definitely is listed as having sailed with the first draft of Fusiliers in April 1915 and this letter sent later that year would suggest he was still serving in the 7th in September of that year:

Sep. 18th 1915 – Alnwick Guardian
Private Robert Robinson, Togston Terrace, 7NF, in a letter written on Sunday 12th September:- “I write to let you know I am back in the trenches again. I am beside Alger Swan and Jimmy Smith.Harry Hebron has been wounded, so that only three of the north end lads remain, and we are all together. The three of us intend getting our photos taken when we get out of the trenches, so I expect you will get them put in the ‘Guardian’. I see in the ‘Guardian’ that Willie Gillon has died of wounds received near the Dardenelles. He was a fine fellow was Willie, and he could not have died a better death, fighting for his King and country. The people in England have not the least idea what war is like. They think that we lie about in the trenches, but we don’t. We have to work and hard too. We get a job finished and then the Germans put a shell into your work, and the job has to be done all over again. Before coming into the trenches, I got your writing pad and pencil all right. One of the pests out here are the gaspers, as we call them. If we had killed as many Germans as gaspers, I would have had a few thousand down. Jimmy Smith and I are in the same section, and are bomb throwers. I wish I had been standing at the corner tonight, watching the people go into the Primitive. I am just imagining I would have been doing that had I been at home. I used to do it in the past on a Sunday night, but would have liked the privilege to have gone in myself tonight. This is all the time.”
Pte. Robinson again:-
“I am still in the best of health and hope you may be the same. I hope you enjoyed the Feast, but there could not be many there because the best part of the men will be away from home. Let us hope to be back for the next Feast, with Britain and her Allies top dog. You would not think there is a war on here. They play cricket and football and shells coming over all the time. The men take little notice of them, having become used to them. I was very lucky last time I was in the trenches. Jim Smith and I were filling sandbags together, and I was knocking down some stuff of the bags. When I had got enough I sat down and I had not been down three seconds when Fritz slugged a bullet into the very place where my ‘nut’ had been. Jim said we must have that bullet, so we dug it out of the clay, and I have it as a souvenir. There was a concert on in the yard where we are billeted, and it was grand. We never think of the war when a concert or suchlike is on. I got your parcel all right and thank you for same.”