View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Administrator

While we're on the subject of Gibson Street, here's a letter written by my G-G-Grandfather George Anthony Richardson (adopted by the Browns of Brown the plumber fame) The gentleman is pictured in another thread in his later years in Panhaven Road:

G.A. Richardson. Plumbers, Gas Fitters, Ironmongers and Tin-Plate Workers, etc.
No. 12 and 14 Queen Street, Amble.

To the Chairman & Members of the Amble District Council.

Gentlemen,

My Child having died from Diphtheria I am certain contracted through the insanitary conditions of the earth closets of the Gibson St. School - having examined the E.C.s myself I found them to be in a very unsanitary condition there being no ventilation in the roofs, & nothing but liquid filth in the boxes. There being no deodoriser put in such as ashes or lifted peat moss the smell from the closets would kill a horse, let alone a human being; & also the school itself, there does not seem to be any ventilation to the sides of the school or fresh air inlets such as lobentubes [?] to stand about 3ft above the children’s heads.
Your immediate attention to the above will oblige
Yours respectfully
G.A. Richardson.

The date is uncertain from the document, apart from '189x', but cross referencing to the east cemetery burial list, the dead child in question is
almost certainly Elizabeth Richardson aged 7 died 5th June 1895.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg richardson_letter.jpg (98.3 KB, 12 views)