View Single Post
Old 04-12-2015, 10:59 AM

Default Whittle Shaft and the Loco' House

Cyril Stokoe was indeed Willies marra, I also remember a Gordie 'lang back' Stokoe who frequented the Loco shed. During my apprenticeship I was lowered down the Whittle shaft by Eric 'Eck' Grey a surface mechanic who did the weekly check. I was with a deputy who's name I can't recall (may have been Barnfather) and we walked down hill to the winnings road. It was used as part of the ventilation system right up until I left - pre strike. It was extremely low and rough path, it was indeed the secondary means of escape until they broke through at 10 West. When I joined the Mines Rescue Service we conducted an exercise at the bottom of Whittle shaft in which stretchers with dummies had to brought up in the cage vertically as they were too long to lie down.
Can you imagine having to walk from Y64 to Shillbtottle Grange to escape!! Firstly you would either have pass the drift on the belt road or go to the winnings road to get down 10 West it would have quite a journey! The yellow sub was also used for transporting the Manager / Under Manager / and Drillers who started late than the main shifts. Driving the loco was standard practice at weekends, I can also remember people riding on top of the batteries 'indian style' rather than walk out!