View Single Post
Old 26-11-2013, 08:15 PM
Administrator

I've purchased at a local auction the medals to an Amble WW1 fatality: 3771 Private Robert Henry Pringle, "D" Coy. 1st/7th Bn. Northumberland Fusiliers.

His mother was Isabella Pringle. Her first husband (and Robert's father) died in 1907 and she remarried in 1911 - marrying your widower Edward Matthews senior from 9 Lime Street.

So a sort of family connection for me as well she married my Great Grandfather's uncle.

There's lot of interesting things going on with this medal set. Robert Pringle was quite the artist and produced some oil paintings, which have sadly just been split up at the same auction, although I got one of them (it's massive!).

His mother had a window dedicated to his memory in the Parish Church here in Amble, and I think she must have travelled to France to visit his grave as soon as she possibly could (1921) as I have her passport (as Isabella Matthews) which was issued specifically for a visit to the war graves.

Here's some of the original packaging for the medals etc addressed to 9 Lime Street: