Thread: RAF Acklington
View Single Post
Old 29-04-2013, 01:46 PM

Thank you for having a look!

It is possible that the trophy flag was given to "The Ploo" at a later date or post war.I was told the story by the chap who owned it and I do trust him.I understand after seeing your pictures that the "Acklington Scrawl" must be hard to work through!The trophy flag is definitely Kriegsmarine,the "M" printed on it denotes Marine and the fact it is cut up seems to point to there being a story attached to it!

Do you have the original records from Acklington or do you think I could purchase copies from The National Archives at Kew?

Unfortunately my great friend and Aviation tutor,Derek Walton,passed away a few years ago.He had many contacts within the base before it closed and managed to get some nice pieces,unfortunately they went to various restoration projects and were never heard of again,nor did the restorations happen.

Derek was the chap who found the piece of exhaust from the Mosquito that crashed near Seahouses,it was on display at his small aviation museum in Bamburgh Castle but I cannot say for certain if it still is.One of the R.R. Merlins was also recovered by divers but sadly it was left outside the "Diving Lodge" to rot away.Last I heard it had been dumped in the local water filled quarry-sacrilage!

The museum is still running in memory of Derek and is worth a visit to anyone interested in local aviation history,many artifacts are on display from crashed aircraft on the Cheviots,downed Luftwaffe aircraft engines that have come up in fishing nets and quite a substantial amount of wreckage from Spitfire Mk1 L1037 that crashed at Wildhope Hill on Hipsburn Farm in 1940 after a mid air collision.

Paul.