Thread: RAF Acklington
View Single Post
Old 28-04-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Hello John and thank you,

I didnt just join the forum for info,I spent my childhood up at Seahouses and my family kept a small boat in Harrisons Boatyard during the Winter months,so its good to find out about the area.
I remember the old ferry that was beached were the marina now is,also the sunken fishing boat that was tied to the staithes out in the estuary,they always fascinated me!
Could you tell me if those staithes were ever connected to the land?I have seen pictures of how the staithes looked when in operation to load coal at the harbour but wasnt sure about the "stranded" ones.

Paul.
You must be recalling the late seventies/early eighties before the Marina was built. The staithes are now connected by a stone bund built with the marina. Before that they were never directly connected to land, forming the edge of the deeper river channel allowing colliers to lay up and not take up loading space further down river.
The ferry was if I remember rightly, a salvage vessel belonging to Christian Salveson and the old fishing boat was abandoned and left to rot. I recall it appearing as a working boat in the mid seventies in a bit of a state ! with a non-local character as skipper and what seemed like a single cylinder engine with a characteristic slow putt putt sound! Its fishing reg was SN 53 ? ?
There must be an old fisherman on this forum who can enlighten us with the full story as it was the talk of the chip shop at the time!

Last edited by hollydog; 28-04-2013 at 03:07 PM.