View Single Post
Old 28-11-2015, 08:29 AM

Default whittle colliery

when I worked at Whittle come winter the coal froze in the loco wagons be for going into the screens , there was plenty of overtime on the freeing the coal , a line of burning coal along the line were the wagons were parked . the wagons were pushed past the screens towards the land sale hoppers then dropped down by hand over the burning coal and into wear the bottom doors opened to let the coal out but with coal still being frozen we had steel rods to poke coal from the top , 7lb ,14lb mels to bang on the sides to try to free coal I also some time went up onto the land sale storage site the conveyer belt heaped the coal every so often you had to move conveyer I think a man called zegler showed me what to do. never seen any stone that I can remember , I often went down into 9west pump house with Georgie headley , the pumper always said he will take me into old whittle never did pumper was Jakay Stevenson . When we put the big pipes down the drift we had to keep the drift free at right time so we were finished early [this was in the holidays ] so we had our bait in the hopper cabin never seen any ponds this Loffs farm .