Thread: Red Row shops
View Single Post
Old 29-12-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlad View Post
Anyone remember the shops and shopkeepers of Red Row. The last one (north) was Allan`s, I remember he owned an E type Jag and had travelling shops
Phew just finished reading all this info about Red Row, I worked for Allan's shop in the late 50s when I was employed delivering the evening chronicle from Red Row down to Hadston Estate all for 10 shillings. The last paper delivered was up near Barties Town in a row of cottages near Greys Farm. The betting shop mentioned in this thread was run by Ray Parks and the man running the picture reels at Red Row was Stan Raffle, my brother in law. Joan Pettica whose family ran the garage, married Jackie Hamilton and now lives in Spain. As for the families living at the willows, can someone put me right, but didn't a lad called Brian Overtan, a coloured lad, who I think was adopted and who was a member of the army cadet force at South Broomhill, where I was also a member, also lived. He joined the regular army when he was very young, and was never heard of again.