Thread: War Diary
View Single Post
Old 24-12-2013, 05:04 PM

Default Re; The Dalby's WW1 RNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by John@theDrift View Post
Hi there, as far as I'm aware, there were three Dalby boys, James, William and Johnny.
James (kia 26/04/15) is number 24 on this photo. I believe William is number 45, identified by his nephew Ronald?
Derek (Derilda?) identified Johnny as third from the left, back row, does this make Johnny number 2?

http://www.fusilier.co.uk/old_photos..._fusiliers.htm

Interestingly, another descendent J T Dalby was one of the 'secret seven', in other words one of the Chevington Auxilliers in World War Two mentioned elsewhere on another thread.

There seems to be a batch of stuff relating to the Dalbys in the Woodhorn archives, one photograph which appears to include your relative Herbert Goward Janwhin?
Hi John, sorry I missed you last week. You rightly identify James (7-1447) in your photograph, and Will. I have studied hard and believe that my Grandfather Johnnie (7-2397) is at No. 47. According to family lore James died as a result of artillery fire and his body not found. He was killed just 6 days after leaving their billet at Cambois on 20th April 1915, entrained to Dover then ferried to Calais. 7 RNF were sent to plug a hole in defences near Ypres without any front line training. He died on 26th April. I note your mention of a letter from another soldier stating he had found James' body and he was given a temporary burial. I would dearly love to have sight of this letter as family never mentioned it.
As far as I know my Grandfather was discharged having suffered 2 attacks from mustard gas and eventually resumed working at the pit. I have his 3 medals.
You also refer to his son JT (Jack), who was a corporal in the Auxilliary section of Home Guard during WW2. I have his medal and discharge letter from Highworth, Swindon, dated 30 November 1944, and a scroll from HM King George 6th. I seem to have followed on in family tradition having served 26 years in the RAF, but my life was cushy compared to what they and their colleagues had to undergo. I must try to get sight of Woodhorn Archives on my next visit.