View Single Post
Old 17-07-2012, 10:29 PM

I have seen the 1921 map on this forum and the read the posts about Burn Row. Fascinating stuff. I have to say that I'd never heard of Burn Row until I started to have a look at Radcliffe's history in recent years. I remember some house foundations at the bottom of Cross Row and I thought that must be it but on reflection they were not in the right place, I think what I remember was probably a part of Cross Row that had been demolished. The houses you mention at the end of Newburgh Row, I believe were Burn Row, there are the right number and they are back to back houses. But I don't remember any back to back houses at the end of Newburgh Row. (My memories begin at the beginning of the 1950s.) I have a 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of Radcliffe (I think 1860s) which shows what I believe was Burn Row before Newburgh was built. Unfortunately I can't put this on the forum as I filched it from a pay site (http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html) by a bit of digital jiggery pokery, and there must be copyright restrictions.

About Longstaff's buildings. I have vague memories of some houses along the west side of the main road which I connect with the name Longstaff, I don't know why and my memories are very vague. Charlie Nyberg had his barber and newsagent business at the end of these houses before he had his original shop and house rebuilt. I'm afraid all this is very vague. I have had little connection with anyone from Radcliffe since the village was demolished. That is until I came across this forum.