View Single Post
Old 21-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Administrator

thanks for help. Yes quite happy for you to publish the letter and background info. Will be interesting if any one has pictures of Maid of Aln or HMS Eagle, or any connections. I did try to complete a chart of every Young in the 1905 publication of all the B.D and M in Lesbury Parish for the period from 1610 to 1815 but the reality is that after about 150 hrs of effort I concluded I was needing to make too many assumptions to cover gaps. So I have just the following of which I am certain

Working down from the Thomas Young that we are interested in his known immediate descendants are I believe

Thomas Young B.1779 Alnmouth. m. Isabella (probably Cook) of Alnmouth. Was seaman on HMS Eagle in 1804 and listed in census for Alnmouth through to 1861 although the family letter suggests from the address that he was living/working in Amble in 1847

Thomas Young had a known sister Eleanor Young B.1780 Alnmouth D.1854 Devonport Married on Holy Island 6 July 1809 to William Black. I think they had just one unmarried son John Black B.1811 in Warkworth

Thomas & Isabella had 4 children
1. unknown daughter B. 1811 or earlier
2. Mary Young B.1812 in Alnmouth who married John Smith and through who's family the letter has descended (see below)
3. Unknown son B. sometime between 1813 and 1826
4. Isabella Young B. 1827 in Alnmouth

John & Mary (nee Young) Smith and in 1841 lived in Alnmouth but in 1851 were in Amble where their two known children were born.

Thomas Robert Smith B. 22August 1851 in Amble; Married Caroline Richardson B.1859 in Grindon He was a blacksmith around the Alnmouth area

Isabella Smith was B around November 1852 and does not seem to have married but leved and worked around Amble and in 1891 was at 6 North Street, Amble

Like many families we has some relatives emigrate to Australia. John William Burn B.1887 Newcastle, but he was not a blood line descendent of Thomas Young only be marriage lien through his sister Susannah marrying into the Smith family.

[Sue....]