View Single Post
Old 13-03-2014, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Here is for the record the text from Janwhin's newspaper report regarding the pumps at the bottom end

Alnwick Mercury 21st October 1876

RADCLIFFE TERRACE.
The INSPECTOR reported that he had had the covers removed from the Douglas Well in Amble, to acertain the depth of the well and the standage of water.
The water level was eight feet six inches from the surface and the standage four feet nine inches down to the surface of the deposit at the bottom. This deposit might be two or more feet deep, as the well had not been cleaned out for thirty years, which would make the depth of the well from the surface to be about sixteen feet. He produced a plan showing the pumping station and line of water main to supply Radcliffe Terrace from this well. He had received the accompanying letter, which threw a doubt that had hitherto never been rained as to the quality of the water and continuity of the supply. He found that the information contained therein as to old coal workings in the locality of the well was correct. Nevertheless the theory was quite adverse to the considerable use that had been made of the well since it was sunk by Mr Douglas 30 years ago. He had ascertained, among other experiences of its large supply, that Mr Carse, builder, filled an adjacent gasometer 30 feet in diameter and 11 feet deep, by relentless pumping many hours without lowering the standage in the well. He required instructions for further procedure.

The following is the letter in question :-
"West Stanley Colliery, Chester-le-Street, October 3rd, 1876.

Dear Sir,—I notice in the Alnwick Mercury for September 30th, that the Inspector recommends ‘Douglas's Well' as a source of water supply for the village of Amble. Am I right in supposing that Douglas's Well' is situated on the right hand side of the road leading to the shore, or nearly opposite the Coquet Leazes ? If my supposition is correct, are you aware that the source of this supply is from an accumulation of water in some old and abandoned pit workings ? I am afraid you will not find the quality of the water good for drinking purposes, or the supply adequate for Amble. You may find the quantity equal to your requirements for a time, but eventually you may pump the old workings dry, and then you will have to go elsewhere for supply. The accumulation of water cannot be very great, because the seam of coal worked was only thin, varying from 20in. to 30 in. in thickness, and only worked to a limited extent for the use of the Salt Works on the links near to the present works of Mr Henderson. If I am wrong respecting Douglas's Well, you will pardon me for troubling you with this letter; but if I am right respecting the site of the well referred to, as I am quite a stranger to you, Mr H. H. Blair can vouch for my knowledge of the village of Amble.”