View Single Post
Old 13-11-2013, 10:07 PM

Wink Re; Glen Aln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan J. View Post
On the above subject, how many are aware of a bomb being dropped near Helsay Point? A booklet I have read recently,gives the info' on the incident. It is by someone called "Glen Aln" and is entitled "People and places of Northumberland." He describes a bus journey from Warkworth to Morpeth in 1945, starting from Dial Place, where the number 28 Newcastle bus started from and describes, in some detail, out of the village and along the road to Amble. When passing Helsay Point he says that on the night of Saturday August 6th 1940 a bomb dropped and tore away the bankside, "still visible then", a hundred yards or so from the end, a second fell on the "sward" a few yards away, the nearest a bomb fell to the seaport.
I know nothing about the bombing of Helsay Point, but I have a copy of the same book. I often look through the glossary of local dialect and advertisements at the rear. One, for Greens, always brings a smile. "On Air Ministry and War Office lists" it declares. At the bottom, "Only experienced and Fully Qualified Workmen Employed..... Telephone - 27 Amble." There have been one or two subscribers added to that telephone list since then, circa 1945.