View Single Post
Old 08-06-2016, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Default The Amble Hoard 1988

One of the auction houses I often buy 'medal stuff' from also has regular coin auctions. I don't really look at their coin auctions, but did today for some reason. Quite a quantity of hammered coins, including four small groups of Edward I/II long cross pennies each of which included a penny from the Amble hoard, uncovered in 1988.

Thought I'd have a go. Made a complete cock up of bidding - missed the first lot as I forgot 'red bar' means I had a losing bid, got the 2nd lot, turned around to curse to the wife about missing the 1st lot and missed the 3rd lot, made the same mistake I did with the 1st lot with the 4th lot. Net result I ended up with 8 pennies in lot 2, one of which was an Amble penny. I really was not destined to get many Amble pennies - expecting lot 2 to be lost in the post now

So... 'Amble Hoard' was found in 1988 during housebuildng near Gloster Hll. About 1,000 silver coins. These hit the market first in 1990 via Sotheby’s. The odd one (or four) that still has provenance pop up in coin auctions occasionally.

here are the 4 lots at DNW today that had one in:

Lot 284
Lot 287
Lot 288
Lot 290

Last edited by Coquet; 08-06-2016 at 07:21 PM. Reason: sp