View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 10:45 PM

My apologies, I must check these forums more often.

The name of Storey certainly rings a bell Coquet. I believe I have seen some of their bottles, mainly pop bottles, and of more recent date than the ones in the advertisement. Thanks for posting the image, very interesting! I love reading old documents, especially when they`re of local interest.

I cannot answer your query re the milestone janwhin, but now you have aroused my interest! I think I`ve seen a few of these on my travels. Maybe we all have but like the signposts, they are familiar objects to us, a part of the landscape, they have always (in our memory) been there, we take them pretty much for granted. Just sometimes we stop and look, and that`s when we really notice them, I will certainly be taking more interest in these milestones (I did photograph one not so long ago, will check my files). I take the occasional walk on Beanley Moor, next time I`m in the area I will take a look at the Eglingham milestone. It [They] may well have been made by the Alnwick Foundry - I think I shall be very disappointed to discover otherwise!

PS. Beanley Moor, a fascinating site, steeped in history, local, and natural, eg millstones were hewn out of the crags here.

Last edited by Vagabond; 06-09-2015 at 10:13 PM.