View Single Post
Old 04-05-2017, 05:59 PM

Default Green and Douglass Builders/Quarriers in Amble

As part of my researches into the Douglas/Douglass family who were tenant farmers at Bondicar Farm from the late 1870s through to the early 1970s, I'm looking into the building/quarrying firm of Green and Douglas who were in Amble from 1879 (that's the earliest reference that I've found) upto maybe the 1930s.

I've found a number of newspaper articles about contracts that the firm was awarded (although I can only see somewhat garbled transcripted extracts at present), and they seem to have had premises at Queen Street/High Street, Amble, and seem to have worked the Denham, Amble and Link quarries.
I've found references to the firm in an 1888 Warkworth Trades directory and the 1894 Kellys Directory, but they give no details.

I am trying to find the first name of Mr Douglas.

I was under the impression that the partners were John Green and Andrew Douglas, but the November 5th 1898 article in the Morpeth Herald about John Green's death seems to say that 'he entered into partnership with the late Mr Thomas Douglas, Amble'.

I would be very grateful if any of you expert local historians could provide any information, or point me towards any sources where I might find more about the activities and personnel in this firm, particularly who the Mr Douglas was ?

Many thanks,
Brian Knott.
Merseyside.