View Single Post
Old 17-10-2015, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Came across this one, mentions a J. Harbottle form Amble. Probably the man above??

Broomhill Soldiers' Visit to the Fighting Line, Digging out Buried Soldiers.
Edward Kitchen, of the Royal Army Medical Corps, France, an employee of the Broomhill Co-Operative Society, writes his workmates an interesting letter. He says: —
Well, you will know that I have been up the line carrying the wounded out and it is awful to see those poor chaps lying suffering. I was up the other day, and the trenches are knee deep in some places, but the average is about one foot; and I can tell you it is not a soft job to carry a stretcher along them. We were sent to hospital a few miles away to help another ambulance, a few weeks back. The sights we saw were heartrending. I have never had the luck to see anybody I knew in hospital, but there was some Northumberland Fusiliers in it. They all belong to Newcastle and Durham. I have not seen one I know since I came to France; but I have been in the same town as Bob Henderson. They generally seem to go out just a few days before we get in. He is just about 5 miles from me now, but I can't get to see him.
I was up the line the other night with J. Harbottle of Amble, and we were called out about 12 o'clock to go to help to dig two chaps out of a dug-out, which had fallen in while they were asleep. We got one out all right, but when we got to the other we found artificial respiration was needed. We applied it, but failed to pull him round; he had been too far gone. I am pleased that the other just suffer from a slight bruise and shock, and he came out all right.
Well, I suppose the recruits are rolling up again around the old home, and so they ought to, as they will be needed before the war is over. I have heard about some Broomhill lads being missing. I must say I am very sorry. It seems hard to think that they don't know where the are. I feel very sorry for Andy Duff; it will be awful for his parents. They will be going through an anxious time just now. I suppose the store has lost another of its employees. They seem to be dwindling out. If they keep on, there will be nobody left.
I've seen the letter from Ted Sanderson, in the Dardanelles. He must have been ill to lose so much weight, poor chap; and all I can say is I wish him a speedy recovery and the rest of the Broomhill boys the best of luck.
Things will be very quiet around your way just now with so many away.
We often get a bit lively here with our guns and Germans shells flying about. We generally get some for tea by way of a change from possy (jam). Well I have just had and enjoyed it under the circumstances. The weather is much better today, but what we have had has been most miserable. I thought that the road beside the Picture Hall was bad at times but these beat it easy. 11/12/1915