View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 10:27 AM

Default Beattie of Ashington - Chemist Ginger Beer

Many years ago, back in the 60's and 70's, our family business J.Sharp Haulage of North Shields were responsible for a lot of the pit heaps in the Northumberland coalfield. We extracted the burnt shale and a lot of ash for use as an aggregate on the region's roads, including the Coast Road, Tyne Tunnel, Spine Road (A19), and countless others. Among the ash from the heaps were of course tons of bottles, these mainly came from Burradon Pit. We had the machinery and wagons for the haulage of the material, and one of my hobbies of course was bottle collecting. Eddie Thompson,( deceased c.1982) who lived in Cramlington,was our machine man who operated either the Wetheral or the Michigan loading shovel. He would often bring to our garage in North Shields, bottles for me. One of which is the one illustrated here. I have never seen another and was wondering if anyone here knew of F.Beattie, Chemist in Ashington. Interestingly, for those who colect bottles, the Buchan - portobello mark is included in the transfer beneath. I was wanting to date the bottle, typically anything from 1900 - 1920. I wonder if anyone has seen the like or can impart any information?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beattiebottle.jpg (27.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by In Sharp; 10-02-2011 at 10:33 AM.