View Single Post
Old 29-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coquet View Post
My earliest reference for Acklington Colliery is now 1730.
It will take a trip to the NEIMME Library in Newcastle to find out more. Will try and get there next week.

Have had a look at the original material re Acklington Colliery, dated 1811, which covers its earlier history (it's complicated )
Also have some information regarding the establishment of Hauxley Colliery in 1753. This obviously being the one Hodgson refers to in his History rather than the recent colliery we tend to think of.

Think I have about 100 images of pages of handwritten text regarding the above two collieries plus a very nice plan of the early Acklington mining zone. We do have a problem regarding showing images of original material from NEIMME Library online though. They want £10 for each original piece shown. I can type out text and put it online no problem, but (for instance) producing the Acklington map in its original form will cost £10.

I'm not sure to what level of detail there will be an interest in this material; probably not very great for the average visitor to the site? Anyway, the above is just the tip of the iceberg regarding what is available across the various archives.