Thread: West Cemetery
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwhin View Post
Coquet, I'm more than happy to help with transcribing into the future.....is that a big mistake?!
In terms of whether Word or Excel are used, is one or another better for uploading onto the website. Excel's the more flexible from a transcription point of view. Listen to me, like I knew what I was talking about

Just word is fine, organizing it into a webpage is easy - The laborious 95% of the work is converting from handwriting to typed text.

I did have an idea to transcribe the 'early Amblers'; that is the 1841 census, then try and find biographical information on those listed from other sources and the later census returns, as the '41 census doesn’t contain much info. 724 souls is the number in the Amble Township in 1841 – just a nice manageable size too. Just how successful it would be in building a picture of early Victorian Amble I don't know, but you could probably spend years on it if you wanted too!
Bringing together a dozen or so amateur historians with little ‘pet projects’ like the above, with the work published on a website would make a very interesting read wouldn’t it! (I can dream)