Thread: West Cemetery
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Good to know there's a copy of the burials at Woodhorn - for some reason I thought they were only at Amble TC. It gets more interesting then.

I'm not sure what the rules are regarding copying the pages of this Woodhorn based burial index - but if they allow photocopies then it's 40p a page (or it was a year ago). I seem to recall a while back asking if I could copy a church register stored at Woodhorn and was told I had to get permission from the church concerned first!

Another interesting point is that the two big pay genealogy sites ‘findmypast..’ and ‘ancestry.co..’. are now digitising parish records, I assume the source of these are the local archives around the country ..obviously a different set of rules apply to them as opposed to us council tax payers, council tax payers who provide the grant to places like Woodhorn in the first place.

Anyway I can’t see there being a copyright problem publishing the information in transcribed form online as a “fact is a fact” ie a name, date of burial, and plot number, it can’t really be copyrighted. Individual photographic images of pages would be though. It’s just getting the data in the first place to transcribe that’s the problem, I would bet the only way is to sit in Woodhorn with a pen and paper for a week or two copying it all out. Crazy isn’t it?