View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 07:34 PM

Default 1970s trash in the dunes?

Hi all.

I've found a line of plastic trash eroding out of Links dunes and was interested to try putting a date to it, because then we'd know how much sand has accumulated since then, which I think is interesting. I imagined the trash would be from the 1960s caravans; however it is later than that, plus I know the caravans were on Amble Links and not on the area of Amble Dunes LNR south of the Links car park - unless I'm wrong about that (please tell me).

The trash I was able to extract was a piece of an all orange pack of McVitie's Krackerwheat with a partial 3p voucher on it that has some connection to supporting the British Olympic team, plus a pack of Smith's Chinese Quavers. After a little research I've decided that the trash belongs to either 1972, or 1976 - personally I'm thinking 1972, because 3p would have been almost worthless in 1976. I'd appreciate your input on that date and whether you agree.

The main reason I need your opinion is to tell me why there would be a line of snack trash from the 1970s in the dunes? Do you know what was happening with the dunes in that period - south of the Links car park - because I thought that Amble was still a mining town during that period rather than a tourist spot and that all caravans had gone by that date? Could it have something to do with the snack shop/hut that I've heard used to be on the dunes somewhere?

I'm curious about it. Thanks.