View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 06:15 PM

Smile

John@thedrift is correct in the new road following the old route, with the exception of a slight kink at the Red Row end. This is for safety reasons of course since the laying of the new road to Radcliffe and Amble.
I walked the old road from 'The Drift' to the shore many times as a child as my maternal Grandparents lived at 'The Drift'. My Mother took me every Sunday to Granny's for tea and we usually stayed and caught the last Craigs bus, at 1030pm. A lady called Tilly lived in the end cottage where the bus came in and turned. On a winter night passengers used to lean against her wall and get the benefit from the heat of her coal fire. It was on the inside of that wall.
Like others no doubt, I wondered if the road post-opencast had been re-laid in the right place so, last month I drove along it to see for myself. Yes it has been and terminates where, in 1945, there was a Bailey Bridge. (Now a concrete foot-bridge) I walked along the paths I had trudged as a child, onto the same features on the Links. It was all very nostalgic.